Acne is an incredibly common disorder of the skin. It is not only a problem during teenage years; many adults are troubled by acne as well. The average age for developing acne is now between 20 and 26. Millions of adults are experiencing acne for the first time, and acne rates are rising — contradicting the belief that this condition is caused by genes.
Eight million people see the dermatologist every year for acne and millions more rely on infomercial products hawked by celebrities or over-the-counter products that total $100 million in sales every year.
At Papillon Medical we take several factors like diet, lifestyle and nutritional status into account when we prepare your treatment plan.
We use a combination of treatments including:
- Laser Treatments
- Chemical Peels
- Pharmaceutical Grade Skin Care
- Prescribed medications when necessary
- Dietary advice
- Acne Scar Revision and many more…
A Poor Diet is Bad for Your Skin
- Skin health, and acne in particular, are tied strongly to diet.
- Acne is caused by inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Traditional indigenous cultures have little acne, but as soon as they adopt a Western diet or SAD (standard American diet), they see increasing levels of acne.
- Sugar raises insulin levels, which promotes the production of testosterone in women, and inflammation in general, causing acne.
- Saturated and processed fats increase arachidonic acid levels and compete with omega-3 fats in the body, leading to more inflammation and acne.
- Milk and dairy consumption is closely linked with acne (and many other skin and health problems) in part because of the hormones (including growth hormone) in dairy and because of the saturated fats.
- High-sugar milk chocolate can increase acne by increasing inflammation, but dark chocolate does the opposite.
Getting healthy skin and clearing up acne truly depend on the optimal function of many of the core systems of the body — your nutritional status, your immune system, your gut, your hormones and your mind-body health.
The Medical Aesthetic, anti-Aging and wellness Professionals at Papillon Medical have extensive experience in dermatology and the successful treatment of acne. A fully individualized treatment plan will be customized to each patient’s needs.