Dr. Zwanepoel was born and raised on a farm in sunny South Africa. It was there that she developed a dream of helping people on their path of health and prevention. Completing her education provided a fantastic opportunity for developing exceptional surgical skills and plenty of hours of hands-on patient care.
She then gained further experience in pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, trauma, general surgery, psychiatry, internal medicine and dermatology while working in a large urban hospital, a rural hospital complex in South Africa and the UK.
In 2003, Dr. Zwanepoel and her husband moved to Thompson, Manitoba, Canada were she worked in general practice, obstetrics, as hospitalist and in the Emergency Room for 4 years. They fell in love with the friendly, clean and safe Canadian lifestyle and decided to settle down in Calgary. These 10 years of practicing medicine served as a great foundation for Dr. Zwanepoel to realize her passion for treating patients with skin conditions. After the birth of her third child, she completed a Diploma in Practical Dermatology and dermoscopy through the University of Wales.
Dr Zwanepoel now enjoys seeing patients for skin cancer screening utilizing dermoscopy, treating acne, treating patients with migraine and hyperhidrosis using Botox and helping patients achieve healthy and youthful skin.
Her passions in life are spending time in the mountain with her husband who started this wonderful journey with her in 1994, raising their 3 children and anything to do with dermatology.
- Completed her Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein (1993-1999)
- Graduate Bachelor Degree of Medicine and Surgery, 1999 at the University of the Freestate, Bloemfontein, South Africa
- Received her Diploma in Practical Dermatology 2010/11 at Cardiff University, Wales
- Received her Certificate in Dermoscopy, 2011 at Cardiff University, Wales
- Attained her Certificate in Botox Cosmetic and Medical filler Practicum and Theory, 2014 at Dr. Martin’s Training Centre, Canada
- Received her Certificate in Laser Principles and Safety Course, 2014 at Dr. Martin’s Training Centre, Canada
- Received her Certificate in Principles and Practices of Sclerotherapy Practicum and Theory, 2014 at Dr. Martin’s Training Centre, Canada
- Advanced Neuromodulators, 2015 with Dr. Stella Jansen Van Rensburg in Okotoks, Alberta
Dr. Helen Zwanepoel is proud to offer over 22 years of medical experience.